Apeiranthos Village on Naxos Island

Apeiranthos Village

Apeiranthos or (T'Aperathou) is a pretty village on the slops of a mountain at 650 metres altitude and was supposed to have originally been settled by Cretans. The village has its own distinct style and many houses are built with marble. On the eastern slop of the mountain Fanari there are two caves. Kanavari cave is 30 metres long and 9 metres width and Fidas cave is 32 metres long and 22 metres width.

Panagia Apeirathitissa is one of the oldest and remarkable churches of Naxos Island with some excellent post Byzantine icons and marble screens. There also some other nice churches; Agios Hryssostomos 1656, Theoskepasti 1663, Agia Paraskevi 1708, Theotokos Katapoliani 1685. Panagia Fanariotissa is a small church on the top of the mountain, 45 minutes walk from Apeiranthos.

Zevgoli Tower is an impressive building since the 17th century and it is situated on a massive rock. Bardani Tower (or Sfortza - Kastri tower), is a nice tower which belonged to Kastri Family, one of the most powerful families of Naxos Island.

Places to visit in Apeiranthos include the Archaeological Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Geological Museum.

Beautiful and popular village at an excellent setting at 650 metres altitude. Unspoiled with quite a few interesting places to visit.

At a glance

  • 28 Km to Naxos Town
  • Regular bus service
  • A few taverns and a couple of cafes
  • Nearest villages: Keramoti, Filoti
  • Nearest beach: Moutsouna (11 Km)

  • Apeiranthos Village
  • Apeiranthos Village
  • Apeiranthos Village